How to Treat Teeth and Gums When Dealing with Diabetes
Do you have diabetes? Better watch out for periodontal disease. See, the risk of this gum disease increases when blood sugar levels are high. The disease also causes blood sugar to rise, making it harder for the body to fight infection. But you can prevent these problems by following these healthy, helpful hints.
Periodontal disease often first appears as the mild gum inflammation of gingivitis, but it can quickly worsen into the more painful problem of periodontitis. To avoid experiencing any of this dental discomfort, follow these healthy tips:
- Be aware of soreness or redness in the gums.
- Brush at least twice a day.
- Floss at least once a day.
- Be sure that the floss presses against the teeth instead of the gums.
- Maintain blood sugar levels within your target range.
Your health is your highest priority. And if you’re dealing with diabetes, it’s important to avoid any dangers associated with periodontal disease. Follow these safety strategies:
- Make an appointment with your dentist immediately if you see signs of a possible problem.
- Postpone dental surgery if your blood sugar levels exceed your target range because your body is at a greater risk of developing an infection post-procedure.
Healthy home hygiene can only help so much. To reduce your risk of periodontitis and spot early signs of gingivitis:
- Schedule cleanings and check-ups with your dentist in every six months.
- Remind your dentist that you have the diabetes because numerous dental procedures can have an impact on blood sugar levels. Remember that diabetes demands special precautions.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Englewood, call Advanced Dental Care of Englewood today at (941) 548-1422 or make an appointment.
Advanced Dental Care offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Englewood. With 21 affiliated practices throughout Florida, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Advanced Dental Care of Englewood, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Advanced Dental Care of Englewood.